Friday, July 8, 2011

DIY Cake Plates

There are very few dishes I love more than cake plates!  I use them for everything--rolls, pies, cookies, and, um, cakes.  They are also great for holiday displays when you want to group things at different levels.
Awile back, I saw some cake plates somewhere that had been made from vintage plates and candlesticks.  I, of course, had to try to make my own.


They are super easy.

You need a plate, {I chose some vintage state plates that I had lying around}


a candlestick or something similar,


and some glue for glass.
I picked my glue up a Wal-Mart for under $4.
{Regular super glue works fine for a little while, but they come apart if you don't use glue made especially for glass.}



Make sure you read the instructions on the glue package, because they are all a little different.  Then add glue to your base.


Turn the plate over and carefully stick the candlestick onto the center of the back of the plate.


That's it!  So easy!



Have a super weekend!

7 comments:

Andrea said...

This has been on my TO-DO list. I have made a few smaller ones for cupcakes, but want to do some big ones. Thanks for the inspiration. I used E6000 glue, and it works great too.

van Zwol Family said...

My question is...where do you store them when you're not using them?? Or are they always out? They're great, but I don't know where I'd put them if I weren't using them often!

Kathy@mishmashmom said...

Jess, You know that annoying space above the kitchen cabinets? That's where I store mine. I've seen some in hutches or buffets and even in glass front cabinets. Sometimes, I use one or two on the counter for keys, etc., and there is usually one on the counter with cookies on it. :) You could also use it under a small potted plant in the living room or a bedroom. The possiblilites are endless!

van Zwol Family said...

I do know that place! It holds my canning jars right now. But that is a good idea, and other good ideas! Thanks!

Jill Campbell said...

Love it! I'm good with glue.

Jacqueline said...

I love your cake plates, I have a candlestick awaiting the perfect plate to make mine.

Simply Creations Link Party

Anonymous said...

This is such a cute nd easy way to use some of those plates that sit under the hutch. I have been wanting another plate. Thank you for the inspiration!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...