Thursday, May 17, 2012

The Story of a Chair


Last summer I found this cute curvy chair at a yard sale for $2!


There were a few small holes in the caning, but it still had lots of life left, so I brought it home and painted it, and used it at my office desk for a while.


Then something funny happened.
I had some family over and we had been out on the lake boating.
When we got back, everyone was still a little damp,
and for some reason, someone needed to look something up on the computer, so they sat on the newly refinished curvy cane chair.

Well, in case you ever wanted to know, or for future reference, when caning gets wet, it changes it's shape to whatever is pushing on it.

Over the next weeks and months, it bent more and more and more, till it ended up like this:


But I didn't get rid of it.
Oh no.

I would position my rear-end on the edge and switch sides when it got uncomfortable.

After a few weeks of sitting on it like this, I decided it was time for another redo.

So I took out the caning, and it has been sitting for the last 4-5 months, waiting to be redone.

Today I got to it!


I cut a piece of wood to fit the seat, then added foam and fabric.


This is what I ended up with:


Now this chair is waaaaaay more comfortable to sit in and the fabric pretty much matches everything in my house.

What project have you been putting off forever?

13 comments:

Melissa said...

That is so cute! Love the fabric! :)

BALL said...

Fantastic! lets see what have I been putting off? Too much! I won't start the list here :)

Unknown said...

Love this!!!! Great job! I'm a new follower:) Barbara at Chase the Star

Lyndee @ A Recovering Craft Hoarder said...

I laughed when you wrote that continued sitting on the chair, switching sides when it became to uncomfortable. A woman after my own heart. The chair is beautiful!
Here from Vintage Designs.

Rebecca C. said...

that's even better than the first version, nice!

katie@tulsadetails said...

Love the fabric you chose. This turned out great!

Elle said...

How encouraging to me to see your beautiful results! Tell us please how you did the back of the chair?

Paige said...

So pretty! Turned out better than the original. And I love that you were sitting in it even though it was broken!

Janet said...

Gorgeous! So much better than before. And just for the record, I love caned chairs.

Kelly @ A Swell Place to Dwell said...

Love this chair! The fabric is awesome.

Lisa Driscoll said...

What a great transformation!

Anonymous said...

I have some dining room chairs that I would love to re-do like this. Any chance you are thinking about putting together a tutorial? The seat looks easy enough because I've reupholstered seats before...I'm not sure I would know how to tackle the seat back. You did an amazing job!

Mindy said...

that chair is fantastic!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...